"Our experience with personalized learning, internet access, and community education and health has shaped our philosophy. Our generation grew up in classrooms where we all learned the same things at the same pace regardless of our interests or needs. [The current] generation will set goals for what [they] want to become -- like an engineer, health worker, writer or community leader. [They'll] have technology that understands how [they] learn best and where [they] need to focus. [They should] advance quickly in subjects that interest [them] most, and get as much help as [they will] need in [more] challenging areas. [They'll] explore topics that aren't even offered in schools today. [Next generation] teachers will also have better tools and data to help [students] achieve [their individual journey] goals. Of course it will take more than technology to give everyone a fair start in life, but personalized learning can be one scalable way to give all children a better education and more equal opportunity."
- Mark Zuckerberg (Founder of Facebook.com)
ABOUT the emergent school
The Emergent School mission is to inspire each child who enters our doors to find a calling that will change the world.
Educational Assumptions To Discuss as Parents:
- Failure is okay and operates as a great teacher.
- Rote memorization is worthless in the age of Google and Wikipedia.
- More homework makes better students.
- Order should trump curiosity in a classroom setting.
- Innovation [in education] is great, but we educate children just fine already.
- College no longer prepares students for future success.
- A lifelong calling can be discovered in youth.
- What is the true role of a teacher?
What it takes to succeed at THE Emergent SCHOOL (student created list):
- Learn at your own pace
- Make and keep commitments
- Grit, perseverance
- Independent learner
- Commitment to success
- Change the world
- Fail and get back up
- Follow our dreams
- Fail early and often
- Learn to Be
- Discovering my hero's journey
- Doing your best